[Mimedefang] html file rejected

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Tue Dec 5 14:37:16 EST 2006

SRAR Mail Administrator wrote:
> A PHB has decided he wants to attach an HTML file to an email. While I
> don't like it, I do like being paid... So I must accomodate. Nowhere in
> my list of bad extensions are htm or html listed, but when the email is
> scanned, MIMEDefang is stripping the file, and giving this message in
> the email:
>
>  An attachment named www.example.com/blastmail/white0512.htm was removed
> from this document as it constituted a security hazard.  If you require
> this document, please contact the sender and arrange an alternate means
> of receiving it.
>
> I cannot find any reference in my filter to why it's doing this.

Search through your mimedefang-filter for the text "An attachment
named".  You'll probably find it near a call to filter_bad_filename.
(That's where I found it in my filters;  all of which have quite a few
defaults commented out.)

Stick in some unique md_syslog statements before whichever statement
includes that text, (the default filter includes several IIRC), so you
can identify which piece of code is causing your problem.

-kgd