[Mimedefang] Image spam and broken file formats

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Dec 4 22:21:00 EST 2006

Do the files found in image spam follow the letter of the format specs, or
do they tend to be broken? Is the degree of brokenness useful as a spam
metric?

I'm a fan of rejecting broken files at the gateway (including HTML) and
would like to bounce images that violate their format standards, as they're
likely to cause issues like buffer overruns in unsuspecting clients.

Are there any good utilities that simply validate file formats commonly
seen in email? I'd like to at least hit JPEG, GIF, PNG, and Acrobat.