[Mimedefang] Return-Path help

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Dec 15 10:20:50 EST 2006

Mark Johnson wrote:

> I know this isn't the right list for this, but I thought maybe I could
> use MimeDefang to fix a real minor issue I'm having.  I'm using Cyrus
> IMAP server and sieve for filtering.  If someone set's up a vacation
> message, sieve autoresponds but sets "Return-Path: <>".

Return-Path is nothing more than the SMTP Envelope Sender.

>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> <someuser at domain.com>
>    (reason: 556 Mail from nullsender not allowed (#5.7.1))

That machine is broken.  See http://www.rfc-ignorant.org/policy-dsn.php

Basically, machines that reject mail from <> are ignorant of the RFCs
and deserve to be blacklisted.  I would file a bug report with
postmaster at domain.com and abuse at domain.com, pointing them to the
rfc-ignorant.org site.

> I can't figure out how to make sieve add the correct name in the return
> path, so is there a way to make Mimedefang do it on the way out?

Not easily, at least until Sendmail 8.14 is out.  It will allow milters
to change the envelope sender (not that MIMEDefang supports that yet!)