[Mimedefang] sa-update

Sven Willenberger sven at dmv.com
Wed Dec 13 16:47:21 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 12:59 +0100, Jan-Pieter Cornet wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 10:11:41AM +0000, Paul Murphy wrote:
> > >I'm about to start down the path of learning sa-update and using it with
> > >MIMEDefang.  Does anyone have any special tips, warnings, or even
> > >how-to's, for how to use it with MIMEDefang?
> [...]
> >
> > The new rules will be in /var/lib/spamassassin/<version>, or whatever
> > your local state dir point to, e.g. mine contains:
> >
> > mail2 /home/defang> cd /var/lib/spamassassin/
> >
> > mail2 lib/spamassassin> ls 3.001007/
> > updates_spamassassin_org  updates_spamassassin_org.cf  updates_spamassassin_org.pre
> >
> > mail2 lib/spamassassin> ls 3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org
> > 10_misc.cf             20_phrases.cf        25_hashcash.cf  30_text_pt_br.cf
> [...]
>
> ... that reminds me, sa-update OVERRIDES all of your current *.cf
> files. So if you made any local changes to, say,
> /usr/share/spamassassin/10_misc.cf to define the report format,
> those changes will be lost.
>
> You should only ever make changes to your "site-specific" files, like
> local.cf, or sa-mimedefang.cf in case of mimedefang.

So the default install (on FreeBSD) sets Local State to /var/lib in both
Spamassassin and mimedefang but sa-update
uses /var/lib/spamassassin/<version> - I cannot set LOCAL_STATE_DIR in
mimedefang-filter since mimedefang.pl overrides the variable when
running spam_assassin_init(). Setting -update-dir /var/lib when running
sa-update has no effect either. I cannot get the new rules (like the
80_ ) to hit no matter how I configure the updates. Any ideas?