MIMEDefang spec file (was Re: [Mimedefang] More on mimedefang and x86_64)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Mon Dec 11 16:54:14 EST 2006

Philip Prindeville wrote:

>Well, I can test changes.
>
>One thing I noticed in the .spec file after I posted my first
>email message is that we should run "autoconf" so that the
>configure file gets rebuilt.  This would happen after %setup
>gets run, but before ./configure.  Especially if some distros
>include %patch changes to configure.in...
>
>So, I'll attach files to show these changes...
>
>I've added a build-time dependency to autoconfig > 2.55, since
>we're running it.
>
>-Philip

Went and looked at the Fedora extras version, and noticed their fix
for finding the appropriate lib/lib64 version of libmilter.a was a lot
simpler than mine:

%configure --with-milterlib=%{_libdir} --with-user=defang --disable-check-perl-modules --disable-anti-virus
make %{?_smp_mflags} DONT_STRIP=1

I concur that --disable-check-perl-modules is the right thing to do (since
your build host is rarely your run-time host).

I think that calling "autoconf" just before %configure (which isn't
currently done) is correct...  The overhead is acceptable.

Oh, and calling "%configure" is better than calling "./configure".

The change in build-time vs. run-time requirements is:

 Buildroot:     %{_tmppath}/%{name}-root
 Requires:      sendmail > 8.12.0
 Requires:      perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-MIME-tools perl-IO-stringy perl-MailTools
 BuildRequires: sendmail-devel > 8.12.0
-BuildRequires: perl-Digest-SHA1 perl-MIME-tools perl-IO-stringy perl-MailTools
+BuildRequires: autoconf > 2.55

 %description

and:

 %prep
 %setup -q -n %{name}-%{version}
-./configure --prefix=%{_prefix} \
+autoconf
+%configure --prefix=%{_prefix} \
             --mandir=%{_mandir} \
+           --with-milterlib=%{_libdir} \
            --sysconfdir=/etc   \
+           --disable-check-perl-modules \
             --with-spooldir=%{dir_spool} \
             --with-quarantinedir=%{dir_quarantine} \
 %if %{with_antivirus}
            --with-user=%{user}

oh, and:

 %build
-make
+make DONT_STRIP=1

 %install

David:  can we institute these changes?

Attached are:

* the Fedora extras mimedefang.spec
* the stock Mimedefang.spec with the above tweaks (as mimedefang2.spec)

-Philip