[Mimedefang] $RelayHostname not matching sendmail's Receivedheader?

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Tue Dec 5 15:05:05 EST 2006

Joseph Brennan wrote:
> --On Thursday, November 30, 2006 14:51 -0600 Michael Sims
> <michaels at crye-leike.com> wrote:

>> (adsl86-34-215-137.romtelecom.net [86.34.215.137] (may be forged))
>> by <my relay running MIMEDefang> ...
>>
>> However, inside my mimedefang-filter, the value of $RelayHostname
>> was not "adsl86-34-215-137.romtelecom.net" as I expected, but rather
>> it was "[86.34.215.137]", seemingly indicating that MIMEDefang was
>> not able to determine the relay's hostname.
>
> Sendmail wants forward and reverse to match.  See "(may be forged)"?
> This host has a PTR but no A (or at least not an A with this name).

Ah.  So you're saying that sendmail doesn't provide the PTR record to the milter
unless it has verified that forward and reverse match?  That certainly seems to be
what I'm seeing here.  I suppose I can see the reasoning behind that (since it isn't
"valid" if forward and reverse doesn't match) but still the PTR record is useful
information to me even then, so I wish it did make it available.  Ah well.  I
already am using a Net::DNS::Resolver in my filter for something else, so I suppose
I can simply check for this and perform an additional lookup to get the PTR.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it...