[Mimedefang] two md_check_against_smtp_server questions

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Dec 4 07:22:17 EST 2006

John Rudd wrote:

> 1) what does MD fill in if you leave the $helo argument blank?

It doesn't "fill in" anything.

> Does it fill in the hosts own hostname?

No.  But MIMEDefang defines a function called get_host_name() that returns
that, so you can use that for the $helo argument.

> 2) Has anyone set up a means of caching results?

I have not, but it would be pretty simple to cache it in a Berkeley DB
or a SQL database.  Be aware that if you're subjected to a dictionary
attack and are caching negative lookups, your cache can (a) be rather
ineffective, and (b) grow without bound.