[Mimedefang] bounce check with sendmail and md_check_against

Richard Whelan richard.whelan at pipex.net
Fri Dec 1 11:49:25 EST 2006

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [Mimedefang] bounce check with sendmail and md_check_against
From: Wayne <wayne at hamilton.net>
To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
Date: 30/11/2006 18:19
> Hello All,
>
> I know everyone has probably figured this out but me. I am using
> md_check_against_smtp_server on my mimedefang server to check
> usernames before sending the mail to my server. I seem to have a lot
> of bounce messages that get sent from my server with invalid from
> addresses. I know there are some that are being rejected because of
> full mail boxes and I can understand those but I have messages that
> are being rejected by unknown user and then the bounce fails. These
> end up in my postmaster account. I have also notice that at times AOL
> or some other provider will black hole me for this. I don't know why
> these messages don't get rejected by md_check_against_smtp_server. How
> do I keep my server to discard these messages without trying to send
> them?
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Wayne

Hi Wayne,

We also run CGP, and I use md_check_against_smtp successfully. What you
need to check is the "Domain Settings" for the domains you are testing
against. In the "unknown names" section, make sure that the "Mail to
Unknown Name is:" is set to "Rejected". If it's anything else, the
md_check_against_smtp will not work.

Hope this helps.

Richard