[Mimedefang] Reserved Connections from Loopback

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Wed Aug 9 09:57:08 EDT 2006

You *can* (probably) change Mailman to utilize sendmail -odd directly by
editing Defaults.py and changing the Handler:

DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect' to 'Sendmail'

However, it has this lovely caveat:

# WARNING: Sendmail has security holes and should be avoided.  In fact, you
# must read the Mailman/Handlers/Sendmail.py file before it will work for
# you.

And warnings in the handler like: 'Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is
highly discouraged'

But the fun doesn't stop there:

SECURITY WARNING: Because this module uses os.popen(), it goes through the
shell.  This module does not scan the arguments for potential exploits and
so
it should be considered unsafe for production use.  For performance reasons,
it's not recommended either -- use the SMTPDirect delivery module instead,
even if you're using the sendmail MTA.

DUPLICATES WARNING: Using this module can cause duplicates to be delivered
your membership, depending on your MTA!  E.g. It is known that if you're
using
the sendmail MTA, and if a message contains a single dot on a line by
itself,
your list members will receive many duplicates.

At the moment, I've switched to using port 587 on the MSA and I've changed
the MSA to exclude Mailman from reverse DNS checks.  I've not used the MSA
much except for some of the MIMEDefang administrative notices & stream_by_
routines so I don't know if it will have the same connection limits.  I also
not 100% sure this is a good idea but it seems sane enough.

KAM