[Mimedefang] How to turn 'postmaster notify' off

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Wed Aug 23 13:37:27 EDT 2006

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Yanick Quirion wrote:

> The server will send a "user unknown" it the sender, but if the sender
> e-mail address is fake, I will get this:
>
> Aug 23 10:27:12 neptune sendmail[22781]: k7NERBHS022778: k7NERCHS022781:
> postmaster notify: User unknown

   It looks as if you have one machine (smtp1.tranzyme.com) that is
accepting the mail from the outside and another machine
(neptune.tranzyme.com) that is doing the local delivery (and generating
the bounce messages to the non-existant senders).  If you are running
MIMEDefang on your outside gateway (smtp1.tranzyme.com) then you need to
have that server check with neptune to see whether the recipient is valid
before accepting the email.  This is what md_check_against_smtp_server()
is for.  If all local delivery is done on neptune, then you need something
like this in your filter_recipient():

#
#  Try to verify recipients on other mail hosts
#
  if ($recipient =~ /.+\@tranzyme\.com>?/i) {
    return md_check_against_smtp_server($sender, $recipient,
                                 "smtp1.tranzyme.com", "neptune.tranzyme.com")
  }

   If you have smtp1 receiving mail and then routing them to hosts other
than neptune, then you may have to modify the above.

   HTH...

Jim McCullars
University of Alabama in Huntsville