[Mimedefang] Allowing only certain sender/recipient pairs

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Aug 9 10:08:02 EDT 2006

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 08/09/2006 08:43:19
AM:

> List,
>
> I have been asked to investigate setting up a solution to allow only
certain
> senders... to email only certain recipients, with any non-approved
> sender/recipient messages being rejected.  It sounds like the company
wants
> to look into a "deny-all except that which is specifically allowed"
> framework for email.

That sounds like a nightmare to manage!!

> Has anyone ever set up something like this?  What database types were
used
> to contain the lookup tables for valid sender/recipient pairs?  What
kind of
> performance hits were encountered?  And I assume "stream by recipient"
was
> needed to allow a message to be passed to an allowed user, yet not
passed to
> a disallowed recipient.  What kinds of problems did that create (aside
from
> the obvious "one message cc'd to 10 people in becomes 10 messages out"
kind
> of scenario)?
>
> David - Is this a feature available in the Can-It products?

As a CanIt Pro user, it would be possible, at least for the recipients
that you want to control being internal users.  Set up a stream for each
internal user.

>From the manual:

5.1.1 Holding Unlisted Senders
CanIt-PRO can allow you to decide to only accept mail from a specific list
of sender addresses, and
to hold mail from all others. This essentially gives you the benefits of a
challenge-response or sender
opt-in system without requiring that senders perform any extra additional
actions before sending you
a message.

To use this feature:

1. Go to Rules : Senders and add the addresses of people you wish to
receive mail from as Always
allow.
2. Enable the Hold mail from any sender not listed in Senders Table
setting under Preferences
: Stream Settings.
Messages from the addresses you whitelisted will be allowed, and all
messages from senders not
specifically listed in the Sender Action Table will be held in your
Pending trap, even if they score
below your spam threshold.