[Mimedefang] Reserved Connections from Loopback

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Wed Aug 9 07:47:05 EDT 2006

On Wed, 9 Aug 2006, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Steffen Kaiser wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>
>>> Specifically, I am trying to solve an issue where Mailman is trying to
>>> send out mail, the sendmail connections are maxed, and mailman then
>>> ceases processing of the out qfiles until I restart mailman.
>
>> I had such Mailman problem as well, the mailing list didn't helped. I
>> now check the running state twice a day and restart Mailman, if the
>> queue runner is missing. However, it didn't happened for about one year
>> now.
>
> Can you not configure Mailman to invoke Sendmail in deferred mode
> ("sendmail -odd ...") so the mail just goes into the clientmqueue and gets
> picked up by the next clientmqueue run?

Yes and no:

"This module delivers the message via the command line interface to the
sendmail program.  It should work for sendmail clones like Postfix.  It is
expected that sendmail handles final delivery, message queueing, etc.  The
recipient list is only trivially split so that the command line is less
than
about 3k in size.

SECURITY WARNING: Because this module uses os.popen(), it goes through the
shell.  This module does not scan the arguments for potential exploits and
so
it should be considered unsafe for production use.  For performance
reasons,
it's not recommended either -- use the SMTPDirect delivery module instead,
even if you're using the sendmail MTA.

DUPLICATES WARNING: Using this module can cause duplicates to be delivered
your membership, depending on your MTA!  E.g. It is known that if you're
using
the sendmail MTA, and if a message contains a single dot on a line by
itself,
your list members will receive many duplicates."

And:

"    # WARN: If you've read the warnings above and /still/ insist on using
this
     # module, you must comment out the following line.  I still recommend
you
     # don't do this!
     assert 0, 'Use of the Sendmail.py delivery module is highly
discouraged'"

Besides this, it looks like it would be possible.

Bye.

--
Steffen Kaiser