[Mimedefang] Image blocking idea

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Thu Apr 20 20:52:58 EDT 2006

David F. Skoll wrote:
> I'm not saying greet_pause or greylisting are useless... you might as well
> keep using them to get the low-hanging fruit.  But I predict they will
> become less useful in future.

Greylisting and greet_pause share one characteristic: They apply
selection pressure to encourage RFC-compliant behavior in mail sending
software.

Both rely on the fact that authors of spam software often cut corners,
and both run into problems where authors of general-purpose mail
software cut the same corners.  The long-term effect will be an
ecosystem where nearly all SMTP senders wait for the full SMTP handshake
and retry when provided with a temporary rejection.  The short-term
effect is that we can catch a bunch of spam with these rules until they
adapt.

--
Kelson Vibber