[Mimedefang] Issues w/ authenticated submission

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Wed Apr 19 17:50:40 EDT 2006

Philip Prindeville wrote:
> Would it be easier to have to sendmail instances, one that
> listens on 465 for authenticated email only

587 would be the canonical port, but yes...

> and then requeues it locally by passing it onto the "primary"
> instance of sendmail, which would apply mimedefang+spamassassin checks?

I believe you can use the same milter from two different instances of sendmail.  No need to requeue.

> The problem is that I'm sending email from work on port 465,
> and I'm seeing an SPF_FAIL, because the initial Received: line
> from the client reflects my employer's domain...

Authenticated email should not be SPF-checked.  If SpamAssassin has a way to tell that the email was submitted via SMTP AUTH, it shouldn't fire SPF_FAIL.

> But since I'm submitting on port 465 with authentication, and
> not on port 25... it doesn't make sense to make certain blanket
> tests that would be applied to all "outside" mail.

Exactly.  You're authenticated, so you're special.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer