[Mimedefang] Re: MD 2.51/clamav .88.1 failure

Kris Deugau kdeugau at vianet.ca
Wed Apr 12 11:18:37 EDT 2006

Shawn Gendle wrote:
> Same problem here running RedHat EL4 latest update. No indication as to
> what is causing the problem.

I recently updated a number of systems here;  no issues.  (I *have* had
weird things happen in the past, however.)

RH7.3, MD 2.51
Debian woody, MD 2.51
WBEL3, MD 2.54

All of the MIMEDefang installs are locally-built packages, no
particularly special customizations.

ClamAV is installed from Dag Wieers/RPMForge on the RH and WB systems,
and from the Debian package maintainer's people.debian.org woody
backport for the Debian system.

The RH7.3 and Debian systems run clamd as the defang user;  the WBEL3
box runs it as root (WTF? - gotta look closer at that - but it's working
fine).

The most common problem I've seen with a Clamav upgrade is that the
clamd socket gets its permissions mangled somewhere and MD can't
communicate with clamd.

For RHEL4, you might be seeing an issue with SELinux.  No idea for the
BSD system;  my *BSD experience so far has been downloading the ISO
install images only to be unable to boot any of them.

HTH,
-kgd