[Mimedefang] Custom variables in filter, undef needed in filter_end?

Brandon Hutchinson hutch at cscoe.accenture.com
Wed Apr 12 12:08:48 EDT 2006

Hello,

We are running MD 2.56 with the MD multiplexor and embedded Perl.

In our configuration, we modify some custom variables in the filter
subroutine, and use these values in filter_end for attachment reporting, for
example.

If we do not undef these variables after using them in filter_end, subsequent
MD slaves appear to add to them. For example, our array containing a list of
attachments will grow.

Is it recommended to undef these variables in filter_end? Is this documented
anywhere?

Checking the mailing list, I noticed this email with the same basic question:
http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2002-August/002043.html

One more question:

Will $Sender or any of the elements in @Recipients ever have angle brackets?
Reading through mimedefang-filter (5), I see that $sender in filter_sender
may, and that $recipient in filter_recipient may, but I was wondering about
those global variables.

Thanks!

Brandon Hutchinson