[Mimedefang] Difference between filter_helo and filter_relay

Mark van Proctor m.vanproctor at metech.com.au
Fri Apr 21 01:57:38 EDT 2006

Hi,

Excuse my ignorance (I'm new to this...), but what is the difference between
filter_helo and filter_relay?

My assumption is that helo is used when a client directly logs in through
SMTP to send an email (generally a local user, so most likely going to be
OUTBOUND or INTERNAL emails) whereas relay is used when a remote mail server
connects to relay an email destined for a local email address (most likely
going to be an INBOUND email).

In my assumption, only one of those filters would ever get called... Is this
correct?

If so, is $Helo still set in filter_begin / filter / filter_end if it was a
RELAYed email / is $RelayAddr still set in filter_begin / filter /
filter_end if it was a HELOed email?

Am I totally off base?

Please can someone explain how these work if I am totally wrong?

Thanks...

Mark