[Mimedefang] Seeing a lot of these lately

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Apr 10 17:41:30 EDT 2006

Cormack, Ken wrote:

> Have others been noticing a lot of spams recently, that tend to be
> html-based (big surprise there, eh?), contain obvious (and visible) random
> text intended to pollute a bayes store, both above and below the "real"
> content of the message... a spam in the form of a bitmap image?  The
> subject, too, is typically one or two random words meant to sneak past a
> bayes engine.

We see a lot of these.  Almost all of them are stopped by a combination
of Bayes and the SARE Stock Scam rules.  (Our Bayes database is
rather large, containing some 390,000 e-mails and around 4 million
words and word pairs...)

Aditionally, I use a feature of our filtering software that holds any
e-mails containing images in the trap, unless the sender is whitelisted.