[Mimedefang] MX -> 127.0.0.1

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Tue Sep 13 17:20:19 EDT 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 14:28, Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Anyone who has gone to the trouble of poisoning public DNS with an
>>> MX that ends up at 127.0.0.1 really doesn't want that bounce back
>>> so I think we can assume they won't make an extra effort to make it
>>> work from certain machines.  Or, they just want to cause trouble
>>> for others and it becomes your choice to help them or not.
>>
>> Maybe they put it in by mistake.  Bouncing at least gives them a
>> hint.
>
> Am I supposed to believe that someone who sets up:
>
> liyuanculture.com       mail exchanger = 10 nullmx.liyuanculture.com.
> and
> Name:   nullmx.liyuanculture.com
> Address: 127.0.0.1
>
> did it accidentally, yet they might have a private DNS that works
> correctly and that user zqy152214 at liyuanculture.com really cares
> about getting that notification message even if were possible
> to deliver it?

Heh.  No, you are not supposed to believe that. :)

Also, this case
http://www.exim.org/pipermail/exim-users/Week-of-Mon-20040412/069931.html
is rapidly falling out of favor.  In fact, ibase.com has fixed that somewhat.

I'm worried in particular about the novice Exchange admin who has misconfigured his Active Directory DNS records.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer