[Mimedefang] Help with bouncing e-mails to group of users

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 30 11:16:16 EDT 2005

--On Friday, September 30, 2005 9:47 -0400 "McKinlay, Ken"
<Ken.McKinlay at curtisswright.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I am hoping for either a simple sendmail or Mimedefang solution for a
> group of invalid addresses being used for joe-jobs. It appears that one
> of our e-mail addresses is sort of being used as the base of the "from"
> address in spam. The user component of the address is in the format of
> "jdow????", where the "?"s are a series of random letters. To populate
> an access.db file for sendmail to deny all the possible combinations
> just for that one example would need more than 450,000 entries.
>
> Can anyone help me either in creating a sendmail or Mimedefang routine
> that will bounce the message with a 5XX error when the recipient is in
> that format?

in filter_begin()

foreach $recipient (@Recipients) {
	if ($recipient =~ /^jdow.*\@curtiswright\.com) {
		# some action
	}
}

Action might be to log it and action_discard(), if you are sure it
would always be junk.

Sendmail could be told to reject at MAIL with a local rule in
check_mail.  Use a regex map.  More efficient but harder to code
correctly.  Might be worth it if there's so much of this that it's
affecting service.

Joseph Brennan