[Mimedefang] Routing based on subject

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu Sep 29 11:44:23 EDT 2005

Question asked:
  "If a special word is in the subject, could we relay the message to
  a certain other mail server based on that?"

Sendmail can do

  LOCAL_CONFIG
  HSubject:  $>+CheckSubject

  LOCAL_RULESET
  SCheckSubject
  R$* specialword $*       $#error ...

to reject it, but this looks like the wrong place to define a mailer
and relay.  Or to rewrite the recipient so as to affect choosing a
mailer.  Not sure though.

Mimedefang can certainly patternmatch on $Subject, and with not much
trouble it can parse any header.  But the available actions are accept,
reject, and various rewrites of the message.

Has anyone here been asked to do this and found a nice method, or
found it to be unworkable for that matter?

I'm not set on this being the right way to do it at all, but right
now I have to say whether it is even an option.

Joseph Brennan