Going OT For David - RE: [Mimedefang] mail server performence declain

Mack roaringpenguin.com at bass-speaker.com
Mon Sep 19 13:02:58 EDT 2005

Probably, mind you, I don't use a ram based spool, but my reasoning is the
limiting factor on email sizes (yes i still have to be able to process msgs
up to 1GB (don't ask) and i run 25 threads, so that would be an expensive
ram disk !!

However, I still see sub 1/2 second process times on emails even with 3 av
engines and spamassissin (with a huge ruleset) running, even when almost all
threads are loaded :)

But then I rely on the load average creeping up, and sendmail rejecting
connections (due to having set the reject LA quite low) which the Load
balancer then distributes to other boxes. So even a biggie email doesn't
clog the system

Also a nice 15k Raid 5 (for the local processing) does help