[Mimedefang] ClamAv Perl Module

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Wed Sep 14 22:02:06 EDT 2005

On Feb 4,  1:43am, "David F. Skoll" wrote:
} John Rudd wrote:
}
} > Does mimedefang support calling clamav via the clamav perl module?  I
} > have heard that that is much faster than both clamscan and clamd.
}
} No, but MIMEDefang "talks" the clamd protocol directly, so it is faster
} than clamscan.
}
} I doubt anything could possibly be faster than clamd.

     I believe the Perl module loads libclamav and calls it directly.
In that sense it would be faster then clamd.  However, having multiple
copies of libclamav in memory could cause problems due to excessive
memory usage.  There is also the issue of having to periodically check
to see if the signature files have been updated (freshclam has a
mechanism to inform clamd).

}-- End of excerpt from "David F. Skoll"