[Mimedefang] MX -> 127.0.0.1

Kelson kelson at speed.net
Mon Sep 12 18:31:46 EDT 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 14:59, Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com wrote:
>>Why do we only care about the first?  I'm tempted to say, fail if ANY of
>>the MX records is invalid.  Are there any broken configs out there that
>>have multirecord MX's with only one of them (not the first) being 127.0.0.1?
>
> Any MX of 127.0.0.1 is not only broken but malicious.

I remember a year or two ago there was a fad in which admins would set
up a tertiary or higher MX pointing to 127.0.0.1 in order to hassle spam
software that used the highest MX instead of the lowest.

I don't know how many of these are still around, and I never thought it
was a good idea -- and you can definitely argue that it's a malicious
config!

--
Kelson Vibber