[Mimedefang] Re: "Please try again later"

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Sep 10 23:03:21 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 21:19, John Rudd wrote:

> I wouldn't mind Linux so much if it wasn't such a moving target ...
> while it's not as fragile as windows, it seems like you need to do as
> much, if not more, patching and rebuilding on it in order to keep up
> with what's current ... and you almost have to do that if you want to
> remain compatible with any new features you need to implement.  If it
> were as easy as OSX ("click this button to see what updates are out
> there, check which ones you want, click update, sometimes you have to
> reboot"), that wouldn't be such a problem.  Though, I hear that
> recently a util has come out for various linuxes that is almost that
> easy, for keeping things fresh and up-to-date.  "Yum" or something?

You want an 'enterprise' distribution, not one that is frequently
redesigned to have the latest of everything.  If you can pay
for it, Red Hat Enterprise comes with support and an automatic
update program called up2date.   If you can't or don't want to
pay for support, the CentOS project rebuilds the RedHat source
RPMs with the trademarked name and artwork removed in a free
version: http://www.centos.org/.  Support is provided by
rebuilding the RHEL update RPMs as quickly as possible and
either up2date or yum will pick them up from a distributed network
of mirror sites. Centos 3.x, released several years ago is still
getting regular bugfix/security updates. If you install the current
Centos4 version you should expect it work unchanged other than an
occasional 'yum update' for many more years. I consider it easier
than OSX which you have to buy again every year and a half or so if
you really want up to date.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com