[Mimedefang] OT: Email web form exploits

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Thu Sep 8 21:07:45 EDT 2005

Well, it has been quite some time since I have done any serious web
development (and the platform back then was netscapes enterprise server on
solaris 2.52), but...

Pull the referrer from the web server environment, not javascript or anything
else client side, in fact, if you are that paranoid it might have been faked
(and I have clients that I swear wear foil headgear ;-) ) then you could
check, set and check for a session cookie, etc.. alot of ways to track that
when you control the web server in question and deny anything fishy.

Nothing is 100% but you can make it difficult enough or unlikely enough that
they will go look for easier targets... Our experience was that simply
checking the webserver env URI referrer variable was often good enough in this
scenario.

Jim

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 20:47:47 -0400, David F. Skoll wrote

--
EsisNet.com Webmail Client