[Mimedefang] Disable SpamAssassin

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Sep 8 07:10:44 EDT 2005

John Rudd wrote:

> 2) We're migrating away from MailScanner right now.  We may go entirely
> with MimeDefang, or we may go with Sophos PureMessage, or maybe with
> something else.

You definitely want to go with CanIt-PRO.

> But, configure still looked for and found SpamAssassin, and
> mimedefang.pl -features still reports it as found.  While I have removed
> all references to SA in mimedefang-filter, I am concerned that I am
> going to be doing things like wasting memory footprint on SA being
> loaded into mimedefang, even though the filter never calls it.

Make sure your filter looks begins this:

$Features{"SpamAssassin"} = 0;
detect_and_load_perl_modules();

By explicitly setting $Features{"SpamAssassin"} to 0, you prevent
mimedefang.pl from executing 'use Mail::SpamAssassin'.

This only works in relatively modern versions of MIMEDefang (2.52 or 2.53).