[Mimedefang] Sudden problem noted with File::Scan 1.43 and PD F attachments

Cormack, Ken Ken.Cormack at roadway.com
Wed Oct 19 15:33:42 EDT 2005

David F. Skoll wrote:

> The REAL solution is: NEVER use Quoted-Printable encoding for PDF files.
> Always use Base64.  If you can somehow convince your AIX boxes to do
> this, you should be OK.

I just asked the developer about the quoted-printable encoding... He sent a
test PDF to his Exchange mailbox, then showed me the following header from
within Outlook...

	::snip::
	From: ::snip::
	Subject: ::snip::
	To: ::snip::
	This is a MIME multipart message. Your mail reader isn't MIME
capable.

	You might not be able to read parts or all of this message.

	------_=_libsmtp_Nextpart__000_000007DA.3B95D19_1

	------_=_libsmtp_Nextpart__000_000007DA.3B95D19_1

	------_=_libsmtp_Nextpart__000_000007DA.3B95D19_1--

To us, it looks like he's already using Base64 for the PDF.  In the actual
emails, a few lines of text are placed in the email, that the receiving
systems parse, and then the attachment follows those few lines of text.

Ken