[Mimedefang] suspicious characters

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Oct 25 12:19:46 EDT 2005

> My experience with $SuspiciousCharsInBody are that it is pretty much
> useless in all circumstances except for a very strict home system
> with a few users. There are simply too many crappy MUAs out there.

Cyrus rejects messages with these characters, and I'd rather refuse
during smtp than generate bounces after Cyrus delivery fails.  Almost
all of it really is garbage, about 15,000 a day (of 1.5 million--
exactly the .01% Per reported previously!).

> Mimedefang strips all CR
> characters from the input, before putting them in INPUTMSG, even if they
> are "lone" CR characters that trigger the "suspiciousBody" flag. So you
> will never see the CR characters in mimedefang (and neither will any
> virus scanner or other content scanner you might use).

So that's it!  So the best I can do is distinguish null from return.
Thanks.

Joseph Brennan