[Mimedefang] MIME::Decoder 'encode' bug?

Mark admin at asarian-host.net
Sun Oct 23 13:13:42 EDT 2005

I did some research, and I am really beginning to suspect some sort of bug
in the MIME::Decoder encoder (MIME-tools-5.418).

Say I decode an HTML message part, ending in this:

(...) FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN>

The decoded message has become one long stream, with reformatted
line-breaks around col 76 (which is ok). Now, however, when I examine the
recoded message, I see this:

<P class=MsoNor-
mal><FONT face=Verdana color=black size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt;
COLOR: windowtext; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"><o:p>&nb-
sp;</o:p></SPAN></FONT></P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>

Notice how the " " ISO char at the end of the second line is
'broken'. That is, the MIME recoder has decided to put an extra "-" in.
This happens quite often.

I have had this problems for a good year, already, always thinking those
HTML recoded messages were occassionally messed up in those ISO chars due
to something I did in parsing (but could not find). Now, it appears it is
really the MIME:Decoder 'encode' sub which seems to have a bug.

I would appreciate suggestions on how to fix/circumvent this issue.

Thanks,

- Mark