[Mimedefang] DoS??

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Oct 19 11:50:31 EDT 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 10/18/2005 02:09:36
AM:

> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, WBrown at e1b.org wrote:

> > The DNS servers in question are local, just another subnet.  A local
> Then it is not local -- for the services on the mail server :-)

I consider it local, If anything breaks between the filters and the DNS,
it would most likely break all incoming traffic and I wouldn't care.

> I do not suppose that the stack is jammed awhole, but the queue of the
> ethernet card, right? So to use a DNS cache on localhost would
definitely
> help to keep the IP stack OK.

You're right, the jam was probably the queue for the ethernet card.  A
caching DNS server on each machine would have reduced the problem and
probably been much harder to see than the catastrophic failure I had.

If something is going to fail, I like them to fail in the most spectacular
way possible, so it is clearly failed.  Intermittent failures annoy me.