[Mimedefang] DoS??

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Oct 17 16:25:25 EDT 2005

mimedefang-bounces at lists.roaringpenguin.com wrote on 10/17/2005 04:00:14
PM:

> Maybe WAN folks have difficulty communicating with people that are too
> nearby? :)

Yes, it was definitely a communications problem.

> Anyway.. helpful hint: rsync or otherwise mirror your whitelists to a
> local nameserver as much as possible, if you handle more than a decent
> amount of email. And run a caching nameserver on every mailserver.

The DNS servers in question are local, just another subnet.  A local
caching name server may have alleviated the problem, but I'll bet it still
would have had some issues.

The jammed up IP stack even was causing problems connecting to the CanIt
database server occasionally.