[Mimedefang] Re: performance tuning once again

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Sun Oct 16 13:04:21 EDT 2005

HI.

> My main concern is that every know and then,i get these dreaded 'timeout
> before data read' errors (timeout of 10 minutes specified in sendmail.cf)

In addition to MD related issues, you can also check for MTU related issues,
because those can also casue timeouts which are a bit difficult to troubleshoot.

I found that the best MTU value should be no more then 1300, instead of the default of 1500.
Even if your internet connection can handle 1500 packets, they might be broken or even dropped by the other side,
and it is best to prevent or minimize the problems in advanced.

I don't know if it is related to your problem, but still it would be good idea to check it.
Read this:
http://www.sendmail.org/tips/pathmtu.html

Yizhar Hurwitz
http://yizhar.mvps.org