[Mimedefang] Re: Replace with URL

Yizhar Hurwitz yizhar at mail.com
Wed Oct 12 19:19:24 EDT 2005

HI.

> From: Rob MacGregor <rob.macgregor at gmail.com>
> Two options off the top of my head:
>
> Ugly: Send a text/html mail, with correct HTML formatting
Can you explain what exactly do you mean?
Send the email from mimedefang? how?
I was thinking about a hack to the "replace_with_url" function that will add a text/html MIME part,
but I don't feel that I have the required skills to do that in Perl without breaking something else.

> Ok: Wrap the url in angle brackets: <http://10.0.0.4/mail_parts/attachment.zip>
I did try it already, and it doesn't help.

> From: <Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com>
> You'll need to hack the replace_with_url function (or make your own new one) to add the following HTML text

> in HTML emails.

I did try to do something similar and it didn't help
(I did it in mimedefang-filter by changing the text parameters that I pass to the function).

Can you help me with a sample code?

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem if you wish to see it for yourself:

1. In mimedefang-filter, use "replace_with_url" function for specific file size or name.

2. Send a test message to yourself with attachment, using an email client that uses HTML format, such as Outlook
Express.

3. The "warning1.txt" MIME part would appear at the end of the message as a "text/plain" part,
and the URL link is unclickable (at least in Outlook Express).

BTW - I have tested this with a different email client = Thunderbird,
and Thunderbird does convert it to a clickable link,
so I know that the issue is dependant on the recipient email client,
But this information does not help me too much because I cannot force or control the mail clients used by the
recipients.

Thanks again for any comments and tips.

Yizhar Hurwitz
http://yizhar.mvps.org