[Mimedefang] training spamassassin

Saisab Pradhan spradhan at icimod.org.np
Thu Oct 6 02:33:56 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have successfully installed mimedefang 2.52 / spamassassin 3.0.4 /
sendmail in solaris 8.0 to filter spam mails with the following rules

1. hits >= 10 , mails are discarded silently and are quarantined.
2. hits >= 6 , mails are forwarded to a separate mail box which is read
regularly and if false positive, are redirected to the original recipients.
3. hits >=5, spamassassin report is attached to the email and is sent to
the recipient.

Now, some of spam mails (in fact, the numbers are quite high) are still
getting past the spamassassin filter. I have created a mailbox where the
users can redirect such false negative emails. when I do
sa-learn --spam mailbox, it returns
" Learned from 0 message(s) (1 message(s) examined)"
where as the mailbox has around 100 redirected spam mails. Is that the
right way to do it or is there anything else I can do to train spamassassin
manually? Please help..

Thanks for your help,

Saisab Pradhan
System Administrator