[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin 3.1.0 auto-whitelist lockfile problem

Andrew Gilhooley ajg at grid-itc.com
Wed Nov 30 11:08:23 EST 2005

I've been trying to get SA 3.1.0 to do its auto-whitelist thing with MD
for some time.  Mail log is reporting:

Slave 0 stderr: auto-whitelist: open of auto-whitelist file failed:
locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp lockfile
/root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock.gatekeeper.grid-itc.co.uk.9319
for /root/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist.lock: Permission denied

for each multiplexor it tries to start.  From the archives here and
googling elsewhere I see this has been seen, but I've not seen any
solutions presented.

So ... a possible solution (I've not subjected this to any testing with
any version of SA other than 3.1.0).

Open "mimedefang.pl" and find the "spam_assassin_init" routine (line
6258 in MD 2.54).  Where it makes the new SpamAssassin object, add the
parameter:

    userstate_dir => "/dir/where/you/want/db/files",

... so the entire piece reads something like:

    $SASpamTester = Mail::SpamAssassin->new({
        local_tests_only   => $SALocalTestsOnly,
        dont_copy_prefs    => 1,
        userprefs_filename => $config,
        userstate_dir => "/dir/where/you/want/files",
        LOCAL_RULES_DIR    => $LOCAL_RULES_DIR});

Usual rules apply for the directory - create it by hand and make it 700
for your defang user.

This works for me on FC3.

Dunno if someone could put this into a nice configuration option :))