[Mimedefang] Bare returns in message body

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Nov 10 14:22:01 EST 2005

David F. Skoll wrote:

> The bigger question:  Do we want to convert bare LF and bare CR to
> (the equivalent of) CRLF?  That is, treat CR, LF and CRLF as UNIX
> line endings, so MIMEDefang sees them as LF, and when (if) we modify
> the message bodies, we convert all the LFs to CRLF?

Sigh.  When you send body chunks back to Sendmail, it converts CRLF
to LF, because it's writing it to a queue file, which is stored with
UNIX-convention line endings.  Also, when Sendmail reads the queue
file and sends it to MIMEDefang, it converts LF to CRLF.

So:

- There is no way to see a lone LF from milter.
- There IS a way to see a lone CR.
- There is no way to know if the CRLF you see in your milter was REALLY
  a CRLF on the wire, or just a LF on the wire.
- When you send a body BACK to Sendmail, it makes no difference if you
  terminate lines with LF or CRLF.

What a mess.