[Mimedefang] Bare returns in message body

Jan Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 9 19:12:59 EST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 05:02:43PM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:
> I'm becoming convinced that I should leave the lone CRs in...
>
> Here's another question: What do we do about lone LF's?  The problem
> here is that on UNIX, a lone LF looks just like a line termination.
> On a Mac, it looks like an embedded LF, and on Windows, I have no
> idea.  So once again, the UNIX-based software might interpret the
> message differently from Windows- or Mac-based software.

The main issue is probably: what is the mail going to look like
when presented to the user, on a given system?

Since this is mimedefang, I think we can forget about OS9 macs.
On OSX, I'm fairly sure MIME::Tools generates LF-terminated lines,
but I'm too lazy to fire up my OSX machine to try it out.
Windows... does mimedefang even run on windows? And sendmail?
And milter? If it does, I bet the same crlf stripping is used
inside sendmail, leaving lone LFs just the same as CRLF line
endings, just like on unix.

Lone LFs are likely a non-issue, since they are treated
exacly the same as CRLF line endings in sendmail... but I'm only certain
about that on unix. (In fact, I'm currently receiving mails with lone
LFs... a quick look at the wire for about a minute did reveal one such
email... spam, though, but that doesn't mean much in a sampling of 1)

> What I propose doing is releasing a beta version of MIMEDefang that
> has a command-line option not to suppress lone CR's or LF's (though
> I'm rapidly running out of letters! :-))

unicode to the rescue! :)

> Existing behaviour of stripping CR's will continue by default.  After
> enough people have tested that not stripping them doesn't blow things
> up, I will probably make it so we keep lone CR's and LF's intact.

That's probably the best way to handle this...

--
#!perl -wpl # mmfppfmpmmpp mmpffm <pmmppfmfpppppfmmmf at fpffmm4mmmpmfpmf.ppppmf>
$p=3-2*/[^\W\dmpf_]/i;s.[a-z]{$p}.vec($f=join('',$p-1?chr(sub{$_[0]*9+$_[1]*3+