[Mimedefang] Bare returns in message body

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Nov 9 17:02:43 EST 2005

Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:

> However, you're ALSO removing lone CRs in the process, CR characters
> that a MUA will see, and might react upon (it might even trigger
> a bug in the MUA... a bug which is scanned for in some virus scanner,
> but that fails to detect it because the CR characters aren't there.
> This is speculation, however).

I'm becoming convinced that I should leave the lone CRs in...

Here's another question: What do we do about lone LF's?  The problem
here is that on UNIX, a lone LF looks just like a line termination.
On a Mac, it looks like an embedded LF, and on Windows, I have no
idea.  So once again, the UNIX-based software might interpret the
message differently from Windows- or Mac-based software.

What I propose doing is releasing a beta version of MIMEDefang that
has a command-line option not to suppress lone CR's or LF's (though
I'm rapidly running out of letters! :-))

Existing behaviour of stripping CR's will continue by default.  After
enough people have tested that not stripping them doesn't blow things
up, I will probably make it so we keep lone CR's and LF's intact.