[Mimedefang] Bare returns in message body

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Nov 9 13:56:46 EST 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:

> The RFC's deal only in 'wire level' representation during the SMTP
> conversation.

Right; that's what MIMEDefang gets handed by Sendmail.

> Mail transports/delivery agents normally convert
> to/from the local line endings.  I don't think there is any such
> thing as a universal file representation (the MIME folks really
> missed a need here).   Since MimeDefang's copy is sort-of still
> in transport but is actually a local file copy it is bound to be
> wrong for something.

MIMEDefang's copy isn't really "in transport" unless you modify the
message body.  If you only alter headers, then the "in transport"
copy is whatever's in Sendmail's queue file.

I know of no good way to handle this.  I'm inclined to simply reject
messages with embedded CR's because MTAs sending such messages over
the wire are violating a MUST NOT requirement.