[Mimedefang] AD/Commercial: Question

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Nov 3 14:21:04 EST 2005

Hi,

My apologies for a somewhat commercial posting on the MIMEDefang list...

As you may know, our CanIt product includes a mechanism for collecting
Bayes data from customers who choose to participate, aggregating it,
and redistributing it.  It's called the Roaring Penguin Training
Network, or RPTN.  Our current Bayes database consists of around two
million words and word-pairs culled from around 100K spams and 80K
hams.  We find it is very effective at detecting spam.  (For some
amusing extracts, see http://www.roaringpenguin.com/zeitgeist/)

For MIMEDefang users who don't want to (or can't) use CanIt-PRO, we're
considering making the RPTN data available on a subscription basis.
Basically, we'll distribute a Perl module that lets you incorporate
the RPTN Bayesian analysis into your MIMEDefang filter, and you'll be
able to download the RPTN data whenever it's updated (currently, about
2-3 times/week.)

Would anyone on the list be interested in this?  How much would you
pay?  If I said $400/month, would you be appalled, or would you say
"Wow, that's cheap!  Sign me up!" ?