[Mimedefang] FTC asks ISPs to crack down on zombie PCs

John Nemeth jnemeth at victoria.tc.ca
Wed May 25 22:45:19 EDT 2005

On Oct 15,  3:17pm, "Kevin A. McGrail" wrote:
}
} > I keep wondering why they don't just block SYN packets bound for customer
} > equipment. Accepting those packets is pretty much the definition of a
} > server, so blocking them would instantly enforce the TOS, at least for
} > TCP.
}
} Wouldn't that mess with P2P software, FTP and more?

     Yep.  However, P2P software would count as servers.  Besides, ISPs
really hate P2P software, since it consumes great gobs of bandwidth
(the number one application currently on the Internet), so I doubt they
would worry about it.  FTP, on the other hand, is a valid concern,
since it would mess with FTP clients in active mode.  Simplistic
answers have a tendency to have many problems.

}-- End of excerpt from "Kevin A. McGrail"