[Mimedefang] FTC asks ISPs to crack down on zombie PCs

ADNET Ghislain gadnet at aqueos.com
Wed May 25 13:44:49 EDT 2005

> Agreed. I wouldn't be opposed to blocking port 25 if there were a way
> to get it unblocked for the clueful, like a web page that takes
> someone slightly more savvy than a monkey to navigate, and that you
> don't get free help to fill in. (Maybe require the user to solve a
> sendmail rule puzzle!)

imho the cluefull people use  a real server in a hosting center or use
professional contract with ISP  that allow them to have such rules,
personnal adsl lines should not have such options. Little users should
use the ISP smtp server or any cheap hosting server that comme with it.
I do not see why you would use your own adsl or cable modem link to send
emails. Obviously if you can receive emails for your domain you can also
send them as it requires a domain name and therefor a pop/smtp server ?

  Can you broaden my vision of thing and give some exemples where the
hoster's smtp server and the ISP smtp server is not enough so you would
want to use your own internal smtp server to send emails from a
dsl/cable line ?  As far as my short sight see the only reason i see is
hidding behing unstable ip and fairly untrackable source (yes this is
fairly limited but meant to make people react and enlighten me rather
than drop this mail to the trashcan :) ?

  Any way if the use are limited i think changing the habbit of a
minority toi protect the internet as a whole is a good trade off :)

best regards,
Ghislain.