[Mimedefang] Sober virus highlights problem

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Thu May 19 09:12:31 EDT 2005

--On Thursday, May 19, 2005 10:52 +0200 Dirk Mueller <dmuell at gmx.net> wrote:

> Assuming that this whitelisting happens via SpamAssassin (I don't use
> CanIT),  then this is not true. Whitelisting merely means adding a score
> of -100. so  if you raise the score of your sober rules to +120, those
> mails will be  catched again.

The better way to whitelist is with whitelist_from_rcvd, which requires
a match on both sender address and relay host.  That reduces the risk.

Any time we are asked to whitelist, I consider it to be a fault in
the filter, and prefer to fix the filter.  But there are some cases
where university business or research depends on getting mail from
some ill-advised email system, and for that whitelisting is a way
to get it done.

Joseph Brennan
Academic Technologies Group, Academic Information Systems (AcIS)
Columbia University in the City of New York