[Mimedefang] Validate users before scanning?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue May 17 09:45:50 EDT 2005

Joseph Brennan wrote:

> mail from:<>
> 250 2.1.0 <>... Sender ok
> rcpt to:<brennan at columbia.edu>
> 250 2.1.5 <brennan at columbia.edu>... Recipient ok
> rcpt to:<notarealaddressatall at columbia.edu>
> 550 5.1.1 <notarealaddressatall at columbia.edu>... User unknown

> Clearly it checks all the way to step 10 per recipient, in order to
> see that the first address is good and the second address is unknown.

Yes, but unfortunately, it does not convey this information to a
milter.  I would love to see the milter protocol reworked so that
xxfi_rcptto gets passed the SMTP code that Sendmail would return in
the absence of a milter.  So the first RCPT callback would be passed
an extra argument of "250" and the second would be passed "550".  This
would allow the milter to ignore recipient addresses that are known to
fail.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Sendmail folks are open to major changes
like this; they seem to be concentrating on Sendmail X, and the 8.x series
seem to be strictly in maintenance mode. :-(