[Mimedefang] Sendmail Help

Ray Spinhirne rays at admin.stedwards.edu
Sun May 15 01:18:53 EDT 2005

> Ray Spinhirne wrote:
> > We are in the process of updated an HPUX server and MIMEDefang.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure this is a sendmail problem and not a MIMEDefang
> > problem but perhaps someone could give me a pointer.  (It's late
> > and I'm not thinking were well.)
> >
> > At any rate here is what's happenning.
[stuff cut]

> what user is sendmail running as?
>
> Make sure that user has perms on the dir and group perms on the file typically.
>
> i.e. my /var/spool/mail directory is owned by bin:mail and is 1777 (I think
> it's one... I have rwx+t for group)
>
> and everything in mail is $user:mail 660
>
> if sendmail is not running with group "mail" perms, it won't be able to write
> to any files.
>
>   -Ben

I found the section in sendmail.cf that defines the user and group.
It was commented out so I don't know was used before.

Change it to :

# default UID (can be username or userid:groupid)
O DefaultUser=root:mail

(Is this value ok, or should it not be run as root.)

Seems to have fixed the problem.
(We have backed out of putting this into production today.)

This still doesn't explain why it worked ok on the other
system while commented out.

Ray