[Mimedefang] Sendmail Help

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Sun May 15 00:30:30 EDT 2005

Ray Spinhirne wrote:
> We are in the process of updated an HPUX server and MIMEDefang.
>
> I'm pretty sure this is a sendmail problem and not a MIMEDefang
> problem but perhaps someone could give me a pointer.  (It's late
> and I'm not thinking were well.)
>
> At any rate here is what's happenning.
>

> Mail originating on the machine works.
> Get scanned by MIMEDefang and delivered locally.
>
> Mail originating on another machine get's bounce
> with the following:

> <spinhirn at acad.stedwards.edu>
>     (reason: Insufficient permission)

> mail: cannot append to /var/mail/spinhirn
> Mail saved in dead.letter
> 550 5.0.0 <spinhirn at acad.stedwards.edu>... Insufficient permission
>
> The permission on the mail spool is
>
> 		660 spinhirn mail
>
> Changing the permissions to 666 causes things to work ok.
> (Obviously not someting we can use in production.)
>
> I seems that locally sent sendmail is getting delivered by a process
> with different permissions that externally delivered mail but I
> have not be able to find the difference.
>
> We have the same system running on another box and it is working ok.
>
> I have not been able to determine the difference.

what user is sendmail running as?

Make sure that user has perms on the dir and group perms on the file typically.

i.e. my /var/spool/mail directory is owned by bin:mail and is 1777 (I think
it's one... I have rwx+t for group)

and everything in mail is $user:mail 660

if sendmail is not running with group "mail" perms, it won't be able to write
to any files.

  -Ben