[Mimedefang] Validate users before scanning?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Sat May 14 21:08:48 EDT 2005

Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:

> (currently - if David is prepared to make MD jump three flaming hoops
> while doing limbo dancing, then that might change - see my other post on
> this subject.)

Here's an odious solution (untested):

sub filter_recipient {
    my($recipient, $sender, $ip, $hostname, $firstRecip, $helo,
       $rcpt_mailer, $rcpt_host, $rcpt_addr) = @_;
    if ($sender ne '<mimedefang-recip-probe at mydomain.net>' or
	 $ip ne '127.0.0.1') {
	    my($val, $text, $code, $dsn) =
		md_check_against_smtp_server('<mimedefang-recip-probe at mydomain.net>',
					     $recipient, $helo, '127.0.0.1');
	    if ($val ne 'CONTINUE') {
		    return ($val, $text, $code, $dsn);
	    }
    }

    # Do normal filter_recipient processing here.

}

If your local Sendmail would reject the recipient (for whatever
reason), then MIMEDefang is informed of it and the recipient doesn't
get added to @Recipients in filter_begin.  It's odious because
Sendmail's recipient processing is invoked twice for each
recipient. :-( But at least it doesn't involve source code changes.