[Mimedefang] Installing on FreeBSD

Fernando Gleiser fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar
Mon May 2 19:43:37 EDT 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005, Lisa Casey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to install Mimedefang on a FreeBSD 4.6 system as the Redhat system I
> was running my mail server on crashed. I've  upgraded perl to 5.8.6 (it was
> 5.001 or something like that) and installed the necessary perl modules for
> mimedefang. I have a couple of questions though about installing on FreeBSD
> (this is different from the way my Red Hat system was).
>
> I have Sendmail 8.13 on here. According to the Mimedefang instructions I
> need to make sure I have a queue runner. Does anyone know if Sendmail 8.13
> will do this automatically? In the mimedefang instructions I was reading it
> said to do this by adding sendmail -Ac -qp5m to the init script for
> Sendmail. On my Red Hat system this was in /etc/init.d. I can't find where I
> should specify this on FreeBSD.

The queue runner is started by default on FreeBSD.

> When I installed my radius server on this FreeBSD system, I put the init
> script for it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d (there's  no sendmail script therre).
> Is this where I should put my mimedefang init script? How will I know if
> this stops & starts mimedefang at the right times? I believe mimedefang
> should start up after Sendmail does and should be stopped before Sendmail
> is.

Have you read the FreeBSD Handbook? (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html). There is a lot of good info there.

In FreeBSD, you need to use either the ports system (think of the source RPMs)
or the packages (binary RPMS). To install mimedefang you just need to do:

# cd /usr/ports/lang/perl5 && make && make test && make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/mail/mimedefang && make && make install clean

It's as easy as that. The ports system takes care automatically of all the
dependencies and installs them.

Hope this helps.

 			Fer