[Mimedefang] plz help: tmpfs for MD spool, /tmp

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Mon May 16 13:52:16 EDT 2005

I'm using MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin, and ClamAV.
I have the spool directory configured as a tmpfs mount point in fstab.

I noticed that recent versions of SpamAssassin use /tmp as a temporary directory to expand mail items and send them to, say, Pyzor.

As such I thought, "well, why not make /tmp a tmpfs mount point too?"

I'm not clear though on the implications of having multiple tmpfs mount points.  I see two possible methods...

1) Create two tmpfs file systems at /tmp and at /var/spool/MIMEDefang
2) Create one tmpfs file system at /dev/shm (say) and symlink /tmp and /var/spool/MIMEDefang to it

1) has the drawback that I'm using double the memory allocation, right?  Or does tmpfs share its allocations across multiple mount points?
2) has permissions difficulties.  I could create subdirectories /dev/shm/tmp and /dev/shm/MIMEDefang but I'd have to write this into some kind of rc file that triggered after fstab but before rc.mimedefang.

Does anyone already have something like this set up, or can give me some pointers?

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com                 805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com         Software Engineer